The cold months are the best months, and before you start making a mental list of why I am supposedly wrong, let me tell you my reasoning. The air is crisp, chia tea lattes are in ample supply and it becomes fashionably acceptable to steal your dad's worn, loose, (if they're fraying, even better) socks, they are a leggings BFF after all.
However, if you're like me.. then the most important encompassing aspect of all of this is the some-what cost effective grocery bill I get to enjoy for a short amount of time. Seeing as butternut squashes are in season, I no longer have to pay an extortionate amount of money to enjoy my favourite soup.
So, to answer your last and final question: why is this the best butternut squash soup you've ever tasted? Well, because after years of trial and error (trust me, once my dash-of-cayenne-turned-dump made my grandma's eyes water) I have had plenty of practise perfecting it. Thus, your prayers have been answered.
1 Butternut Squash [medium size]
2 Sweet Potatoes [smaller size]
2-3 Garlic pieces
1 can of Coconut Milk
4 cups of Chicken Broth
2+tsp Coconut Oil
1tsp Green Curry Paste
2-3 sprigs of Fresh Thyme
Chilli Flakes [a dash; not a dump!]
Salt + Pepper
Let's Get Cooking
1. Cut your squash into cubes, and in a large bowl toss them with some melted coconut oil, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Lay on a baking sheet and lay sprigs of thyme onto the sheet. Bake at 350C for 40minutes, or until lightly browned.
2. Meanwhile, in a large pot sauté the cut shallots and garlic in the remaining coconut oil on medium-low. Just long enough to be translucent - careful not to burn, or it will destroy the entire harmony of the soup here, and then I will have lied to you about this being the best soup ever.
3. Peel carrots and sweet potatoes and cut into smaller hunks.
4. Add chicken broth, carrots and sweet potatoes into the garlicky shallot goodness. Bring to a light boil for 10-20 minutes.
5. Add in roasted squash and simmer with some chilli flakes and the green curry paste for roughly an hour.
6. Add in coconut milk, and blend to desired consistency.